Pics or it didn’t happen.
You’ve poured your heart into planning your wedding, and you’ll want every meaningful moment captured in photos. But with a bajillion fab photographers in this world, how do you know which one is the right fit for you?
- First, fall in love with their portfolio and style. Do your homework by researching online, checking out websites, galleries, reviews, social media, etc. to find a photographer whose work speaks to you.
- Next, make sure you click with them on a personal level! You want a photographer that you could see yourself being friends with. The more at ease you are with them, the more natural and authentic your wedding photos will be. See how that works?
Once you’ve narrowed down your A-list based on our two top tips above, ask each photographer the following questions to zero in on THE ONE for your wedding day. (And feel free to take notes on our nifty printable PDF—with extra space for your own scribbles!)
- Do you have my date available?
- How far in advance do I need to book with you?
- How long have you been in business?
- How many weddings have you shot?
- Have you done many that were similar to mine in size and style?
- How would you describe your photography style (e.g. traditional, photojournalistic, fine-art, moody)?
- How would you describe your working style?
- If your style is mostly candid, will I still get formal, posed portraits (and vice versa)?
- Do you shoot weddings in digital, film format, or both?
- Do you specialize in indoor or outdoor events, or both?
- Do you have an updated portfolio I can review with examples of full weddings?
- Can I give you a list of specific shots we would like?
- Are you the photographer who will shoot my wedding? If so, will you have any assistants/second-shooters with you on that day?
- What type of equipment do you use? Do you have backup equipment?
- What about a backup plan if you are unable to shoot my wedding for some reason?
- Are you photographing other events on the same day as mine?
- How will you (and your assistants) be dressed?
- Is it okay if other people take photos while you’re taking photos?
- Have you ever worked at my wedding venue before? If not, do you plan to check it out in advance?
- What time will you arrive at the site?
- If my event lasts longer than expected, will you stay? Is there an additional charge?
- Do you have liability insurance?
Pricing + Packages
- How much of a deposit do you require and when is it due?
- Do you offer payment plans?
- What is your refund/cancellation policy?
- Do you charge a travel fee and what does that cover?
- What packages do you offer? This question covers things like:
- Can you put together slideshows to be shown during the cocktail hour/reception?
- Do you provide retouching, color adjustment, or other corrective services?
- How long after the wedding will I get the proofs? Will they be viewable online?
- How many final images should I expect to receive?
- Do you help with creating an album? Can I see some album designs?
- What is the ordering process, and how long after I order my photos/album will I get them?
- Will you give me the digital negatives or unlimited downloads so I can make my own prints?
- May I have a list of references or a link to reviews?
- What sets you apart from other wedding photographers?
- Have you ever worked with my videographer? Event Manager? Venue manager? etc.
- If I hire you, when will I receive a written contract?
- What information do you need from me before the wedding day?
Gut Check! Questions to ask yourself:
- Do your personalities jibe? Would you be comfortable grabbing drinks with this wedding photographer?
- Do you feel a connection with his/her photos?
- Are you comfortable with this person’s customer service/communication style?
- Did the photographer listen well and address all of your concerns?
Article originally appeared in www.herecomestheguide.com